"Do the Impossible"
"Smile more :)"

Saturday, April 12

Journey in Dance

12.4.12 0326hour

It is 3:26am, my brain isn't really working right now and I don't have enough brain power to write this blog post in Chinese. Too used to English now that certain things I can only express in English but not Chinese. I mean ...... what do you call "choreo", "blocking" etc etc in Chinese man? :/ I will probably have to search the internet and get some lousy translation on these words but ... nope now I am too lazy for that ..

Soooooooo ... this post is about how my journey in dance has been so far. Remember how I always wanted to learn dance since Sec 4 but didn't have the money or companion or time or whatever to actually start learning. The first time that I actually did a performance was during my J1 RIB Night. And ever since then I hadn't been involved in this area, until I finally came to SUTD. Joined Dance Derivativez, and am now under this awesome instructor.

Just one year ago, I was still learning basics such as bounces, ball change, shamrock, monastery, pepper seed, bart simpson etc etc (another bunch of terms that I have totally no idea what are they called in Chinese). We eventually got more used to the moves and grooves and gradually became able to do things that are of higher difficulties. Performed once for SUTD Topping-Out Ceremony at our new campus at Expo a few months ago, that was the beginning. And now, half a year later, we are preparing for the first ever SUTD Performing Arts Concert! The items that we are doing are quite different from what we did for the Topping-Out Ceremony. They focus a lot more on the details as well as the way that we carry out certain movements: accents, drags, angles, out of the box etc. I could be quite safe to say that this performance is much harder than what we have been doing. But as Mel said, we have come so far, improved so much compared to when we first joined the club. She is really pushing us towards our limits, and has faith that we can do it.

Just two days ago, we had a choreo exam. The main purpose was to ensure that everybody knows their blocking and what they are doing. However much that I am comfortable with the steps, I couldn't say that I wasn't nervous during the exam. Legs were kinda shaking at the start, but apparently it wasn't obvious to the rest (which is a good thing I would say). Steps wise, I guess I have no problem for the first item because we really spent quite a lot of time practicing it. The main challenge for me would be the expression. How are you supposed to have a "cool" face and at the same time not to be misinterpreted as expressionless or fierce etc AND at the same time also to reach out to all the audience? It is quite challenging for me because I am quite well known of being expressionless (I guess?). Anyway, I tried my best during the choreo exam. Surprisingly, Mel said that she liked the way I did it (At least for the first part of the item). I was able to give out that kind of vibe or feeling. Yes, still not enough, but at least it is a start. I am quite happy to see that there is some improvement, and I am so gonna continue to work hard :D (Also a good thing to note is that one of the zai dancers actually agreed that I have improved since the last performance :D)

So now what is happening is that, we are still preparing for the concert. We had so far just (like JUST, that is 5 hours ago) finished blocking our second item. Gonna spend hell lots of time on this piece because steps, expression, energy etc etc ALL NOT READY! And the style of this item is quite different from the first one and is one that I am not entirely comfortable with, which meanssssss more time on it yo~ 

Sooooo that is two items. If you think that's it, you are WRONG! I am in the third item, which is a collab performance with vocomotive (why am I in all these man). Which meanssssssssssss even more time that I have to spend on preparing the performances BECAUSE I just (yes, JUST, that is ... yea about 5 hours ago too) started learning it. OK la to be fair, this item is rather easier as compared to the DDz main items. Same thing, quite different from the normal ones that I learn in DDz but steps wise are rather easy. (Using a MJ song leh, if the dance is gonna have the MJ style in it, how can it not be "different"? haha)

Right, so my journey in dance up till now is busy preparing for the concert, Prem1ere! Really looking forward to it and hope that I can, or rather DDz can, put up a good show!!

Talking about it, those who actually read this blog (which I really don't think there are many) and are interested in going for the concert PLEASE BUY TICKETS FROM ME!!!!!!! The concert is held on:

Date: 6 May 2014, Tuesday
Time: 7pm
Venue: ACS (Barker)
Tickets: Normal $20, Restricted View $18

Cheers!

done writing at 0415hour, I am really siao to stay up at this hour XP


No comments: