"Do the Impossible"
"Smile more :)"

Sunday, May 12

Might & Magic - SUTD Orientation 2013

12.5.13

5 months had passed and I am back in Singapore for my uni. I was so excited and worried at the same time because I had no idea how school is like and how the people are like. Especially as I was from RJ, I was even more worried that the name "Raffles" would bring much unwanted gossips behind my back. Not that I am not proud of  Raffles, but the fact that Rafflesians have always received much prejudicce and stereotype from other communities is undeniable.

But the three days (or 4 days) of orientation had told me that my worry was quite unnecessary.

This group of people (3 OGLs + 9 fellow OGMs) was the most enthusiastic, most awesome, most amazing people I have met in these few years in Singapore. They treated me just like everybody else, ignoring the fact that I am not a Singaporean and was from Raffles. This reminds me of my first day in RI, when I was worried that the Singaporean classmates would ostracize me for being a Malaysian, of which the worry turned out to be unnecessary, too. And their enthusiasm had bonded us closely together, which impressed not only our OGLs, but also the House Head. In the morning, we were still strangers in the company of silence, but when night fell, we could talk about almost everything as though we had known each other for quite a while. In all the activities, be it Station Games, Wet Games, Amazing Race, Mass Dance or Night Games, we put in all our enthusiasm and creativity to make this once-in-a-lifetime event enjoyable and definitely memorable. Special mention to Hui Shan's "Bottle Band" (refers to how she played music with just bare hands and a bottle - the one Anna Kendrick played with a cup in Pitch Perfect) which in my opinion bonded us faster and closer than anything else. It had become an OG thing within a day with fellow OGMs and even OGLs addicted to it. If all 10 of us are gonna be OGLs next year, this is gonna be a batch thing for the next batch to come.

To quote from one of our OGLs: "... I didn't expect you guys to be that insane and you all surprised me on wet games day. When it reached amazing race day you guys were so comfortable with one another that you all fed off each others' energies and created awesome stuff -" or the most awkward stuff that we hope not to do again in our life "- which we'll always remember each other for." Of course I am not gonna forget the videos we made on that day. Sorry, MR10! You have been taken over by Kratos as he awesomest OG.

Geraldine, Kenickie, Edward, another group of OGLs (apart from Lin Wen, Eunice and Jon) who have inspired me. Hopefully I can be an OGL next year and inspire my OGMs as I was inspired.


Red Raiders - Kratos!



ps1: The Head of SUTD is so cool! He is old but he knows how to talk to the young. No wonder all the students love him. I think I am starting to love this school, too, as I love RJ.

ps2: Orientation Finale Party @ Sentosa, this was probably the first time I stayed on the dance floor for the entire event. 53A is really awesome!

No comments: