"Do the Impossible"
"Smile more :)"

Wednesday, August 20

ALP‘14——電影篇之“The Three Idiots”與“Suckseed”

During ALP, we watched many many movies, but these two movies struck me the most.

********************

What “Three Idiots” is about, I guess I don’t have to write the synopsis here. Either you have already known, or you could always go wiki it. What I really want to say is that there are really a lot of things that we could learn from this movie, especially in current society. Let me just simplify the points that I noted down (not exhaustive tho because I might have forgotten some – It’s been weeks since I last watched it):

=> At the start of the movie, the narrator said something like “we all learn Physics, but he applied Physics”. It was during the scene where “Rancho” refused to be humiliated during the hostel freshman orientation and locked himself into his dorm. A senior threatened to pee on his door step, but “Rancho” managed to stuff an electrified spoon under the door and eventually gave a mild electric shock to the senior. Yea we all know that pee contains salt and hence is conductive, but how many of us would have applied the knowledge? Another example would be when Pia’s sister was in labour. The thunderstorm killed all the electricity and Pia (a doctor) was unable to instruct them what to do through the monitor (she was stuck in the hospital due to the thunderstorm). “Rancho” powered the electricity using car batteries and eventually saved the new born baby. In time of panic, would anyone of us still remember whatever that we have learnt in class? Would we be able to apply anything that we have learnt … at all?

=> As long as we know what one thing is, is it really necessary to memorise textbook definition? During a class, the professor asked what is a machine. “Rancho” gave a very simple answer: “Machine is something that give people convenience”. Even though such explanation has aptly describe what a machine is, the professor rejected the answer and demanded a textbook definition. “You’d better give a textbook answer if you want to pass.” Is everything about passing? The nerd, Chatur, gave his memorised textbook answer (Machines are any combination of bodies so connected that their relative motions are constrained, and by which means force and motion may be transmitted and modified, as a screw and its nut, or a lever arranged to turn about a fulcrum or a pulley about its pivot, et cetera; expecially, a construction, more or less complex, consisting of a combination of moving parts or simple mechanical elements, as wheels, levers, cams et cetera) and was complimented. “Rancho” however was asked to leave the class. I especially love what came next. “Racho” left but returned to take something. The professor asked what was it that he left behind, he said “Instruments that record, analyse, summarise, organise, debate and explain information; that are illustrated, non-illustrated. Hardbound, paperback, jacketed, non-jacketed; with foreword, introduction, table of contents, index; that are indented for the enlightenment, understanding, enrichment, enhancement and education of the human brain through sensory route of vison – sometimes touch.” When “Rancho” finally explained that he was referring to books, the professor asked “Why can you say it in a simple language?” “Rancho” said “I tried, sir! But it didn’t work!

=> Nowadays, how many of us are going to school because we are truly excited about learning new things? Or are we going to school because society demands us to? Are we going to uni because we can get a degree and a cert, just because that’s what the companies look at first when you apply for a job (That’s why I always said we are slaves to the society because we do things because the society demands it and not because we love it)? In this scene when Mr. “Virus” asked “Rancho” to stand on the stage and show the teachers how to teach, “Rancho” came out with a phrase that was made using the names of two of his best friends, Raju and Farhan. When he asked the people present to look for the meaning of the phrase, all of them flipped through all the books in front of them but none of them seems excited about learning the new phrase. I especially love this part said by Farhan, “Today my respect for that idiot (“Rancho”) shot up. Most of us went to college just for a degree. No degree meant no plum job, no pretty wife, no credit card, no social status. But none of this mattered to him, he was in college for the joy of learning, he never cared if he was first or last.” “Rancho” was a servant of this person called Rancho, he went for the college to get a degree for Rancho. So, to be direct, “Rancho” went to college but he did not have a degree.

=> Last but not least, would I ever meet a friend like “Rancho” who is willing to do or sacrifice so many things for his friends, and would I ever be one like him?

I wish I could also be somebody who do things because I love to, not because I have to. True, all these are from a movie, all of them are scripted, but still they are something that worth thinking about.

********************

Another movie that came after “Three Idiots” was this Thai teenage movie called “Suckseed”. Now my teenage is over, this movie definitely brought back memories … ok more like scenes that I wish happened. But what struck me the most was actually this Thai song called 《這首歌不是我所作》. My advice is, don’t listen to the original one, listen to this one sung by Nat Nattasha Nualjam. It sounds nicer J

也许这首歌没有其他歌曲那么动听;
但对我来说却充满了意义
在那写下每个音符 每个词里
你所给的微笑
让我提笔的瞬间充满了意义
在这饱含着我感情的旋律里
你知道吗?我是如何做到的,这都是因为你

你现在听到的那首歌曲不是我写的
你可知道我不敢这么承认 亲爱的
你可知道是谁写下这首歌 记好了
那个人就是你
你所给的微笑
让我提笔的瞬间充满了意义
在这饱含着我感情的旋律里
你知道吗?我是如何做到的,这都是因为你

你现在听到的那首歌曲不是我写的
你可知道我不敢这么承认 亲爱的
你可知道是谁写下这首歌 记好了
你现在听到的那首歌曲不是我写的
你可知道我不敢这么承认 亲爱的
你可知道是谁写下这首歌 记好了
那个人就是你
你知道吗?我是如何做到的,这都是因为你

你现在听到的那首歌曲不是我写的
你可知道我不敢这么承认 亲爱的
你可知道是谁写下这首歌 记好了
你现在听到的那首歌曲不是我写的
你可知道我不敢这么承认 亲爱的
你可知道是谁写下这首歌 记好了
那个人就是你


No comments: